ASD-STE100, the aerospace and defense specification for writing in Simplified Technical English
English is the official language for technical documentation in the aerospace and defense industries. However, many end-users are confused by complex sentence structures and by the number of different meanings and synonyms of English words. This applies to end-users who are not native English speakers, but also to native English speakers.
ASD Simplified Technical English (ASD-STE100), formerly known as AECMA Simplified English, is an international specification for writing aerospace and defense documentation. The use of this technical writing specification is mandatory for many commercial and military projects worldwide. S1000D and ATA iSpec 2200 require the use of ASD Simplified Technical English for any documentation in English.
As a result of joint efforts of ASD (Aerospace and Defense Industries Association of Europe, formerly known as AECMA) and AIA (Aerospace Industries Association of America), the first issue of the Simplified Technical English specification for the aerospace and defense industries was released in 1986.
We are currently at issue 8 (April 30, 2021) of the specification. The official name is:
ASD SIMPLIFIED TECHNICAL ENGLISH, SPECIFICATION ASD-STE100
EUROPEAN COMMUNITY TRADE MARK NO. 017966390
INTERNATIONAL SPECIFICATION FOR THE PREPARATION OF TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION IN A CONTROLLED LANGUAGE
ASD Simplified Technical English is an international writing standard that is characterized by a defined grammar and syntax rules, and a limited vocabulary. Today the specification is maintained by ASD and AIA members, which include companies such as British Aerospace, Airbus, Aermacchi, The Boeing Company, Lockheed Martin, Rolls-Royce, EADS, Dassault and Saab Aerosystems.
ASD Simplified Technical English has become a requirement for the following specifications:
- S1000D, an international standard for defense and aerospace documentation (AECMA/ASD)
- ATA iSpec2200 (formerly ATA iSpec 100), an ATA (American Transportation Association) standard for aircraft maintenance documentation
For more information about what STE is and how to implement ASD-STE100, visit this page.
HyperSTE, the leading ASD-STE100 Compliant Checker since 2002
Etteplan offers full ASD-STE100 Simplified Technical English implementation services, including:
- Dictionary development, in order to standardize on company-specific terminology
- Training of technical writers and engineers on the rules of Simplified Technical English authoring
- HyperSTE, the leading language check software to ensure compliance with ASD-STE100 Simplified Technical English and standardized company terminology. HyperSTE includes all writing rules and features, including full reporting functionality and the ability to export interactive feedback to HTML in order to share the feedback with your colleagues or suppliers.
HyperSTE has been the no. 1 choice for aerospace and defense companies looking for ASD-STE100 Simplified Technical English compliance for close to 20 years now. For more information about HyperSTE and how it can ensure compliance with the Simplified Technical English specification ASD-STE100, or to request a free content reality check, please contact us today.